Tomato Community Classes are held virtually and are designed to be accessible to a wide range of experience levels. Community Classes tickets are sold on a sliding scale, with an option for free admission.
Contact us for more information.
Welcome to Community Coffee Cupping 101! This workshop was developed by US Coffee Tasting Champion and Tomato Coffee Class founder Julien Langevin and licensed Q-Grader and Umeshiso founder Umeko Motoyoshi.
In this 90-minute class we dive into the world of coffee cupping with an accessible approach. Tickets are sold on a sliding scale from $0-25. Join us and enjoy tasting coffees in a validating and inclusive atmosphere!
Sunday December 3rd at 5:00 pm CST
Thursday December 7th at 5:00 pm CST
Check here or follow @tomatocoffeeclass on instagram for updates
1. Welcome and Introduction
2. What is Coffee Cupping?
3. Preparing for Cupping
4. The Cupping Session
5. Conclusion and Next Steps
Join us for our virtual class, Coffee Cupping 101! If you’d like to join the class without cupping on your own, you are completely welcome to do so. If you’d like to cup along with the class, please gather these supplies:
1. UMESHISO X TOMATO CUPPING NOTES FORM (download here)
2. THREE REGULAR KITCHEN SPOONS
3. TWO DIFFERENT KINDS OF COFFEE. At least 25 grams of each. You can choose whatever coffees you’d like, or you can cup the same coffees as Julien. Julien will be cupping two delicious coffees from Mother Tongue Coffee:
4. FOUR SMALL CUPS OR MUGS. The cups should hold 5-7.5 ounces, and ideally all four cups should have the same capacity. If you don’t have this and need to purchase, we recommend :
5. THREE LARGER CUPS OR MUGS. They do not need to be the same size. Suggested capacity 12-16 ounces, but larger is fine.
6. ONE DIGITAL KITCHEN SCALE that can read grams. Scale should ideally have at least 0.10 resolution. If you don’t have this and need to purchase, we recommend:
7. ONE KETTLE. If you don’t have this and need to purchase, we recommend:
This is an optional list! If you’d rather join the class as a spectator only, that is completely okay. We look forward to sharing space at the cupping table with you.